Housing Your Bun
We advocate for all bunnies to be “house bunnies” which means they are inside at all times unless it is a secure and supervised outside play area.
When in doubt always remember the
Rule of 4’s
- Habitat is 4 feet x 4 feet (x-pen)
- At least 4 different types of vegetables per week for variety/nutrition
- At least 4 hours on 4 days per week for exercise
- Unlimited hay, because rabbits need to FORage–chew all the time for their teeth and digestion limited hay because rabbits need to chew for survival
- We recommend bunnies in pairs FOR companionship-bunnies are not solitary in the wild Rabbits are FORever pets, which is 10-2 years
The Rule of 4’s keeps a bunny safe from predators and allows more interaction with other family members (humans or other pets).
Housing your rabbit in an exercise pen (commonly known as an x-pen) can be a big improvement over the idea of a cage.